I would like to share my famous lasagna recipe with you. This makes a huge pan, there is enough to feed quite a few piggy’s!
“No Bull” one of the best tips I can give for preparing this is DO NOT COOK THE NOODLES. Instead boil water and lay your noodles out in your lasagna pan. Pour the boiling water over the noodles and allow them to sit for 10 to 15 minutes before arranging lasagna in pan. There are 2 must have ingredients for this recipe, Fresh Mozzarella cheese, you know the kind in the round white log. Slice them into thin rounds. Please do not use the shredded kind in a bag…NO, NO NO!! Another must have ingredients is Fennel. I believe this is a key ingredients in all italian cooking.
Phyl’s Famous Lasagna
1 lb. Sweet italian sausage. I love the Bob Evans Brand in the green pkg.
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 cup Minced onion
4 Cloves of garlic crushed
1 28 oz. Can of crushed tomatoes
2 6 oz Cans of tomato paste
2 6.5 oz Cans of tomato sauce
1/2 cup of water/ or red wine
2 Tlbs. white sugar
2 tsp. Dried basil
1 tsp. Fennel seeds
2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 Tlbs. Salt
1/2 tsp. Black pepper
4 Tlbs. fresh chopped parsley
12 Lasagna noodles
32 oz Ricotta cheese
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 Lb. Mozzarella cheese sliced in rounds
3/4 C Grated Parmesan cheese
1. In a dutch oven, cook sausage, ground beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until well browned. Add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and water. Season with sugar, basil,fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper and half of the parsley. Simmer stirring occasionally.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Lay noodles in lasagna pan and pour water over noodles to completly cover. Allow them to sit for 10 to 15 min. before arranging lasagna. Drain and dry noodles.
3. Mix egg, Ricotta Cheese, 2 Tlbs. chopped parsley Salt and pepper.
Pre Heat oven to 375
4. To assemble spread 1 1/2 cups of the meat sauce in the bottom of a 14 1/2 x 11 x 2 pan. Arrange 6 noodles over sauce. Spread with 1/2 of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with 1/2 of the mozzarella cheese slices. Spoon 1/1/2 cups of the sauce over mozzarella and sprinkle with 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese. Repeat layers and top with parmesan cheese. Cover with foil.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 25 minutes. Cool 15 minutes before cutting.
Another great tip is this can be prepared and stored in the fridge and baked later in the day or even the next day. Makes great leftovers!