You can tell it’s winter because all of a sudden I’m in the mood to bake. My family loves chocolate so I was looking for a simple dessert. This one caught my attention because I love the Molten Chocolate Lava cakes. I have a recipe for those that I will post. This is similar to that recipe. This one has no flour at all in it. I thought it was interesting that it had so many eggs and that you actually whipped the egg whites and GENTLY folded them in. This cake is super moist and super rich. Trust me this cake easily served 8! Be sure to serve it warm straight from the over. You will be in chocolate heaven…NO BULL!
12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, I used Gardelli broken into pieces
2/3 cup unsalted butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
5 large eggs, separated
About 2 teaspoons confectioner’s sugar, for decoration
1. Preheat oven to 350 F
2. Butter a 9 1/2-inch pan or deep, non-stick cake pan
3. Combine the chocolate, butter and granulated sugar in the top of a double boiler placed over simmering water
4. Melt over medium heat, stirring until the ingredients are thoroughly blended. Set the mixture aside to cool.
5. Whisk the egg yolks into the chocolate.
6. Beat the egg whites in a large bowl just until they form peaks; do not over-beat
7. Add one-third of the egg whites to the chocolate batter and mix vigorously.
8. Gently fold in the remaining whites. Do this slowly and patiently. Do not over mix, but be sure that the mixture is well blended and that no streaks of whites remain
9. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until the cake if firm and springy, 35-40 min
This cake is served without icing.