I found this recipe and just had to try it. I have to say it was amazing! The hot carmel apple topping was a breeze to make, but the thing that put this over the top is the candied walnuts! OMG…they are good. I found myself picking at them the whole time I was making this. They are super simple to make…don’t skip this part of the recipe! NO BULL they are delicious. This is perfect for a weekend breakfast!
2 granny smith apples (peeled,cored and sliced)
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
4 slices bread
1/4 cup candied walnuts
1. Simmer the apples, butter, sugar, flour cinnamon and water until the apples are tender, about 10-15 minutes and set aside.
2. Mix the eggs, milk and vanilla in a wide dish.
3. Dip the bread into the egg mixture to coat on both sides.
4. Melt some butter in a pan and fry the slices of bread until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes per side.
5. Serve the french toast covered in the caramelized apples along with some candied walnuts.
1 1/2 cups walnut halves
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt (optional)
1. Spread the walnuts out in a single layer on a baking sheet.
2. Bake in a preheated 350F oven until nice and toasted, about 5 minutes, and set aside. (Watch them carefully.)
3. Melt the sugar in a sauce pan and wait for it to turn a nice shade of amber.
4. Add the walnuts and mix to coat.
5. Pour the walnuts onto a sheet of parchment paper, quickly separate them, sprinkle them with the salt and let them cool.