So I had seen where someone on facebook posted they were eating an oatmeal casserole. I decided to google a recipe and found this. It is a delicious healthy breakfast. Simple to prepare. This recipe serves 2. I added warm milk to my bowl before serving.
1 3/4 cups milk
1 tablespoon butter
• 1 cup old fashioned oats (NOT quick cooking)
• 1 apples peeled, seeded, cored and chopped small
• 1/3 cup dried tart cherries
• 1/4 cup Almonds, toasted
• 2 tablespoons brown sugar or 2 tablespoons unbleached cane sugar, plus
• 1 tablespoon brown sugar or 1 tablespoon unbleached cane sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon real vanilla extract
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
Lightly toast walnuts and set aside.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Coat a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish with butter or margarine substitute.
In a medium saucepan, bring milk and butter to the boil. Slowly stir in the oats with a fork.
Stir in the apple and dried fruit, toasted almonds, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, vanilla extract if using, cinnamon, and the salt.
Cook mixture, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Be careful not to burn! Pour the oatmeal mixture into the prepared casserole dish.
Bake, uncovered for 15 minutes. The last 5 minutes of cooking, sprinkle the remaining 1 tablespoon of brown sugar on top and bake until the top is bubbly.
Serve warm with additional warmed milk served .